Though the terms of the Kanye x adidas x Y-3 deal are still murky, it hasn’t stopped the blogosphere from erupting with chatter. We can talk all day about what we think may happen, but in reality we have no concrete facts. Having had a week or so to reflect on this turn of events, one can say of course that it’s a shame Nike dropped the ball, but also we can say the possibilities at adidas are vast, and there are some silhouettes already present that are screaming for the guiding light that is Mr. West. If I had my pick, these would be a great starting point for Yeezi…
1. adidas “Match Play”: The “Match Play” looks that have been launched in 2013 have been some of the most underrated kicks of the year, the simplistic look of the pictured colorway is something that, with the Yeezus touch, could really shake things up.
2. Y-3 “Qasa High”: These damn near scream Yeezy already, and whether he tweaks the colorway or the silhouette there are a lot of possibilities here. Kanye and Yohji in tandem would be a force to be reckoned with.
3. adidas Originals “Centaur”: We’re all for outlandish designs, but at the heart of Kanye’s vision is function, and as he made apparent with his A.P.C. collab it’s not all about outlandish things, and these classic kicks offer up plenty of colorway opportunities while still being simple enough that the average Joe won’t have to feel like he’s walking through the pages of Hypebeast every time he laces them up.
4. Y-3 “Trainer”: Another easy pill to swallow, these already dance between new age and OG status, so we can only imagine what some Yeezi touches would do for these extremely well designed kicks.
5. adidas Originals “Americana Hi ’88”: The textures and silhouette of this model are a perfect base to build upon, and whether it is a simple color-blocking or total revamp, the bones on these babies would suit future kicks well.