Nike has unveiled the latest product releasing as part of the brand’s Move To Zero commitment and journey towards zero carbon and zero waste. Following sustainably crafted footwear in the lifestyle and basketball categories (such as Space Hippie and Cosmic Unity), the brand built by and for runners now looks to its roots to create its most sustainable performance shoe yet.
Nike reimagines the record-breaking technology of its pinnacle marathon shoe, the Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% (worn by Eliud Kipchoge when he cracked the 2-hour marathon), to create the Nike Air Zoom Alphafly Next Nature, made with at least 50% total recycled content by weight. Each component of the Air Zoom Alphafly Next Nature was optimized using circular design principles, material innovation and athlete input, reducing the material waste and impact while still providing the same incredible benefits as the NEXT%:
- Exceptional energy return is provided by a super-responsive Nike ZoomX midsole made with at least 70% recycled foam; Nike Air Zoom Pods made partially with recycled TPU; and a propulsive, yet stiff Flyplate made with at least 50% recycled carbon fiber.
- The comfortable, supportive upper is composed of both Nike Flyprint, a 3D printed textile made with at least 20% recycled TPU, and Nike Flyknit made with at least 45% recycled polyester (through a process that reduces waste by 60% compared to traditional upper fabrications).
- Its durable outsole is made with a mix of higher abrasion compounds and Nike Grind Rubber (at least 10% in the medial heel and forefoot — and at least 9% in the lateral heel). Its data-informed design helps optimize traction patterns and wear areas as well.
- A plush ZoomX Sockliner is 100% recycled PEBA.
- This Alphafly’s beautiful design is finished off with woven labels and laces made with 100% recycled polyester and a no-sew film made with 50% recycled TPU.
- Overall production waste was minimized through pattern efficiency and recycling material scrap.
Look for the Nike Air Zoom Alphafly Next Nature to release soon via Nike.com and select retailers.
Nike Air Zoom Alphafly Next Nature
Release Date: 2021