If you caught Game 3 of the NBA Finals last night, you may have seen a new short film by Nike titled “Best Day Ever” during the commercial breaks. This is the latest installment in Nike’s Play New campaign launched this past May.
The video is narrated by Lupita Nyong’o and imagines a tomorrow where the unlimited possibility of sport is unlocked. Some of the scenarios are purposely whimsical interpretations of a future utopia (such as stick horse racing becoming a professional sport), though they all speak to the notion that we can create a better future, for all athletes, through the joy of movement and play. The list of scenarios for “Tomorrow” includes:
- Someone going on their first ever run.
- Jamaican track and field star Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce becomes the first woman to run 100m in under 10 seconds.
- A shoe grows from a seed.
- The WNBA surpasses the NBA in popularity.
- Dutch wheelchair tennis legend Diede de Groot conquers the gaming world with her own video game.
- We will all finally respect athlete’s mental health (a reference to Naomi Osaka’s views that athletes should be able to skip media obligations without being penalized).
- A woman will run a marathon on Mars.
- We will celebrate new champions (such as Sha’carri Richardson).
- A’ja Wilson convinces world leaders to declare sport a human right.
- French soccer star Marie-Antoinette Katoto scores seven goals in seven minutes.
- Sky Brown will land a 1620.
- LeBron James will score 120 points in a game.
Check out the “Best Day Ever” short film above and click here to read more about the film’s intent from Nike’s Chief Marketing Officer DJ van Hameren. Additional inspiring content and experiences from Nike’s Play New campaign will launch throughout the summer.